Teachers Criteria Artistic Vision 2018
Tribe of Doris commits to having high quality educational workshops that are inclusive and offer a range of classes for all abilities. This includes open access workshops for complete beginners and advanced levels for more experienced students, with opportunities for the professional dancers and music makers to stretch their wings and engage in informal and formal sessions of learning.
We work with teachers from the cultures they represent or with teachers who have developed a strong understanding, connection and expertise in the arts they teach. We are also expanding into other areas of learning including crafts and somatic movement workshops. The reality is we work with people who inspire us and uplift our collective knowledge and believe in the healing power of the arts. So we are always open to hearing your ideas. We are also dedicated to the development of upcoming teachers and will, where possible, provide training and support so they can deliver high quality workshops. We hope to do this latter part with funding support. Please also refer to our Artist Development Programme page which will be online soon.
We have a programme development period during which we explore the themes and possibilities for each event and we engage teachers through our own experience or recommendations. Teacher booking will be made in line with our yearly artistic vision. Whilst we would like to book an infinite number of teachers, programme and budget restrictions mean we can only book a limited number so please understand that an application does not guarantee a booking.
If you have taught with us before and are interested in teaching in 2018 please email us to discuss potential workshops email@example.com.
If you have applied in the last 3 years, we have all of your information on file. If you would like to be considered for 2018 please drop us a line.
If you have more than one idea please fill in the details on the same application but number your workshops. Please be clear in your description what the level, genre and age range your workshops are.
We invite teachers to fill in the online application form and offer their workshops for inclusion in the programme. If for any reason you are unable to navigate the online form please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 20% new teachers yearly
- Teachers from the cultural background they represent (if any)
- OR who have substantial experience and connection to the culture they represent (residentials in the place are necessary)
- A mixture of folkloric arts as well as fusion and new arts
- A wide selection of art forms including music, dance, song, ceremony, yoga, meditation, movement, crafts and walks & talks workshops.
- An increased offering in the kids and youth areas, with teachers who have previous experience working with children and young adults
- 10% of bookings will be made to support up and coming teachers with support and training
- At least 6 workshops that celebrate the heritage and culture of the British Isles
- Expand on our offering of Japanese based art forms building on the Taiko Drum workshops
- Develop South Asian offering from tasters in 2017
- Expand our offering of Latin American and Caribbean art forms
- 2 bookings from previously unrepresented cultures
- 80 workshop bookings
- 3 teacher booking for older/ mature bodies
- 2 workshops that appeal to men specifically
- A dedicated arts and crafts area
- Development of talks and informative workshops
- 2 nights entertainment bookings, as well as curated DJ nights only in the Rum Bar and the Youth Tent
- Develop acoustic programme of entertainment
- 40% of programme not Saturday Performance based
- Explore potential of oversea artists to add new element to programme
- Our dream is to represent one artform from each continent
Open – Workshops that have no level and are open to all ages.
Beginners – For participants with no previous experience. Basic techniques will be taught to give students an introductory feel of the art form
Intermediate – For participants with some previous experience in the type of workshop (e.g drum) These workshops will develop the skills that you already have and give you a deeper understanding of the art form.
Advanced – For participants with lots of previous experience in the type of workshop (e.g dance) and who would like to be challenged. These workshops will build and develop your previous experience and give you an in depths understanding of the artform.
Paid Teacher – This is for experienced teachers who have an excellent reputation for the work that they do. Paid teachers are programmed based on our yearly Teachers Criteria, Artistic Vision and the budget. Paid teacher places are limited. Teacher fees will be discussed on an individual basis.
Exchange Teachers – Our exchange teacher tickets allow talented individuals to come and participate in our amazing Summer School, share their knowledge, develop their teaching practices, introduce themselves into the Doris community or offer us something unusual that we might be interested in but haven’t necessarily got in our criteria priorities. They allow people to come to Doris in exchange for up to 3 workshops, developing their networks and enjoy the Summer School. Whilst there are no fees for exchange teacher tickets we do provide a limited amount of meal vouchers.